1967 Mustang C6 transmission shift lever question

I'm converting my 67 Mustang from 4 speed back to the original C6 automatic. Does the shift lever on the transmission point up or down? Thanks

Reply to
sanpablo

Up, if I remember the '67 390/C6 correctly. Lotsa luck with working clearance on that! Even with the bigger '67 body, shoehorning an FE/C6 into a Mustang or Cougar is no mean feat!

Reply to
DeserTBoB

What engine is in that car ? I thought the C4 was used in mustangs of that vintage ?

Reply to
Steve Stone

You don't have to tell me!!! The tranny was a bull to get in there. It was a lot of fun connecting the tranny cooling lines. The tranny I have has the lever pointing down. Any tips on repositioning it in the up position? The shop manual doesn't go over it and there are no diagrams either.

Reply to
sanpablo

67 was the first year that the FE big block was an option but even with the larger body it is a tight fit on everything.
Reply to
sanpablo

not only check the orientation of the lever make sure its from a floor shift car. alot of the used C6 trans or from big ford that had column shift. the floor shift selector on the side of the trans is unique

Reply to
walt peifer

Reply to
Tom

I have the Factory Shop manual but it doesn't have a very good blow up of that area of the trans nor does it describe the shift lever removal.

Reply to
sanpablo

Yes, you were correct. I found the correct lever on Ebay and hopefully this will be the last part of putting my 67 Mustang back together. I converted it from 4 speed back to the original automatic.

Reply to
sanpablo

snipped-for-privacy@mail.com (sanpablo) wrote in news:454794a2.17719828 @news.verizon.net:

Had the same problem with the C-6 in a 1969 Cougar. I ended up taking it to Mr Transmission and purchasing their lifetime warranty with a rebuilt transmission.

I had a 1981 LTD Country Squire with a C-6 which used to be an RCMP Ident Car. They rebuild the wagon, with a seized BOSS 302, 3:11 rear end and the C-6 transmission. I purchased the wagon at auction. When you hit the gas and put the pedal to the metal, you just about needed a G-Suit, you were pressed back that hard upon accellleration.

Never had a better transmission.

Not sure what the one in my Ford Ranger XLT 2X2 that thinks it is a mountain goat and better than a 4X4 with its snow/ice tires on in winter. Ridge runner in summer in the back country. It rides the ridges thrown up by the 4X4's as they mud slogged up a gumbo trail into a mountain lake. It dries hard as rock on top of hte ridges because gumbo is clay mud. A light truck has no problem running those ridges same as a small car such as a Datsun 510. Done it when a forestry 4X4 couldn't get a girl and her dog into a forestry tower so she could begin her fire watch. Took her in the next day with my girlfriends car. Tagish Tower, Yukon Territories Canada 1979.

jfk

Reply to
jfk