1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 390

Did anyone in this newsgroup ever own a 1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 390? My dad used to have that car before I was born. He loved that car and wished he had kept it. I would like more information about this car. Was that car built on the same chasis as the 1968 Ford Mustang GT Fastback? What was the top speed for the '68 Cyclone GT 390? The car is pretty rare nowadays and can be a pain in the a** to find.

~CyberWolf

Reply to
Cyber Wolf

A 1968 Mercury Cyclone GT would be almost the same as a 1968 Ford Fairlane Torino GT (see

). It islarger than a Mustang, although a lot of the chassis parts are the same (or atleast very similar). Also see
and
. Regards,

Ed White

Cyber Wolf wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

jim opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@dot.com:

I bought a 66 Comet 390 new for $2600. Merc Version of Fairlane, then became Cyclone/Torino Nice car for the time. But I did a LOT of repairs before 100,000 miles that I would never have to in today's cars. Gas milage sucked, brakes sucked, handling sucked.

Traded it for a Beetle just so I could get 22 mpg (instead of 14) which is the same as I get with my 93 Tbird

Newer = better; cant keep up, hire a mechanic.

Look here, copy paste this whole thing

Backyard Mechanic

I had a friend that had one with a 428. They were on a fairlane chassis. Back in 68, I knew a guy down the street from us that had a new 68 shelby cobra with a 428. My favorite mustang that I've ever seen, period. Best looking body, and about as good a engine as they come. That was one bad ass car for all factory stock. Being it was new at that time, it was ultra bad. Most people drooled and slobbered on themselves when they saw that car at that time. That was in K.C. where it's cold in the winter. He'd start that thing up every morning to warm it up, and you could hear the deep idle all the way down the street. He was quite a few houses down. If I remember right, he worked at the local ford factory. Probably got a good discount...Many people built cars in K.C. My 68 F-250 was built in K.C. MK

Reply to
Mark Keith

The 1968 Mustang Shelby Cobra with a 428 engine was one of the best Mustangs ever. I've seen pictures of it because I have a Mustang calendar on my bedroom wall. One of my favorite Mustang. The 1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 390 Fastback is one of my favorite Mercury vehicle.

Reply to
Cyber Wolf

Thanks for the weblink. It helped me get more information about the car my dad once owned. The classic car books my dad has doesn't have anything on a 1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 390 Fastback. Man, I wiah my dad had kept his Cyclone and take it to car shows nowadays. Of course, the fuel milage on that car sucked.

Reply to
Cyber Wolf

Thanks for the link, Ed. My dad also had a 1970 Ford Torino Cobra. I wish he had kept that car too.

Reply to
Cyber Wolf

the cyclone was built on the fairlane chassis.the mustang counterpart was the cougar,and the galaxie counterpart was the maurauder. the top speed is questionable as to what the options were.my ford 7 litre will do 120 in third, never had it over 140 in fourth,but it should do about 180.

Reply to
Falcoon

Cyber Wolf opined

Well, guess what I abandoned and later sold for $25, when I bought that

66?!!!

A black 57 Belair 2dr hardtop.

So you have nothing on me in the "would'a, could'a, should'a..." dept.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic