1969 Cougar Brake question

Does anyone know if the proportioning valve and metering valve are combined together on the 1969 Cougar? The car has power brakes with disc brakes in
the front and drums in the rear. Also, where would I be able to locate it?
Thanks in advance,
Mark
My recollection is they are combined... and the unit usually located on the bottom of the chassis... under the drivers seat.
See the NEW SkyWave this October! www.telstar-electronics.com
Telstar Electronics wrote:

If they haven't changed in two years, the one on my '71 is right under the master cylinder.
On Tue, 30 May 2006 14:39:29 GMT, "Mark Savoy"

Should be mounted below the master cylinder on the frame. It looks like a block of metal with the lines from the master cylinder going in and the lines to the wheels coming out for a total of 5 lines IIRC. It incorporates the brake failure warning switch, proportioning and metering functions. They were not terribly reliable over the long term. If yours is original, it likely needs repair/replacement if that has not already been done. The originals can be hard if not impossible to find. You may have to adapt a Wilwood or some similar valve into the system if you cannot find a suitable replacement. I suppose it would also be possible to adapt a later master cylinder that has the valves at the discharge ports and remove the original from the system.
Lugnut
lugnut wrote: They were not terribly reliable over the long

About 15 years ago the "brake" light was on in my Cougar. I got a replacement valve from the Ford dealer and he said that I was lucky because this part has been discontinued and he had to get it from somewhere on the other side of the country. Before I replaced it, I smacked the old one fairly hard with a hammer and after that it worked. I think I still have the new one out in the garage somewhere.....