1969 Ranchero horn

I just got this ranchero and everything works fine except the horn. I can't find the relay either on the fire wall or under the dash. Anyone know where it's mounted?

Stew

Reply to
Stew

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Stew) wrote in news:7169-406F9126-20@storefull-

3154.bay.webtv.net:

AFAIK, there is no relay. It's simply a matter of a bad horn or a bad switch. I have owned several vehicles of this vintage and have never seen a horn relay on any of them.

There may be a horn circuit breaker. Look for it buried up under the dash. There's a headlight circuit breaker under there as well.

Reply to
donutbandit

Reply to
Thomas Moats

As others have indicated, this era Ford does not use a horn relay. This is not a very good idea. The horns pull a lot of current, and have to pull it from the battery through a lot of wire and several connectors. As the car ages, the contacts at the connectors and the fuse become corroded. Impedance increases to the point that the diaphram in the horn will not actuate.

Check the horn fuse. It will probably be good. Next step is to clean the fuse clips and clean or replace the fuse. Clean all the contacts in all of the connectors in the horn circuit with a contact cleaner. PITA? You bet!

For a driver, and alternative is to add a horn relay, ensuring that the horn circuit.

Reply to
Whole Lotta Tom

Stew,

There is no horn relay, as long as you don't have factory cruise control in the steering wheel.

No fuse, it uses the tail and brake breaker in the headlight switch.

It could also be the horn itself if single, but I suppose there are two horns.

Reply to
clemslay