1972 Ford LTD Convertible

Just had my car inspected. I live in North Carolina (Mecklenburg County) and we have to have our vehicles inspected annually. The inspector told me
that this would be the last year that I would be required to have the car inspected? That after 35 years the car is "red lined"? What does that mean and is that a law? I have checked on the NCDOT web site, but can't find any info. Any help?
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:47:02 -0500, "kenmist"

Sounds like the car is no longer legal. Give me your address, sign over the paperwork and I'll be there next week to take it off your hands ;-)
PS please ensure the fuel tank is full - - - I would think that once a vehicle reaches maturity it no longer requires yearly pollution or safety inspections and is able to go under historic plates, taxation and insurance.
Sounds good to me (not the illegal part)! Thanks for the input. I was hoping for something like a reference to a specific regulation in the NCDOT manual.

The whole manual is available in PDF format at www.ncdot.org
Bill
From what I understand, 1995 and older vehicles will no longer have to go through the sniffer testing that Mecklenburg and a few other counties subjected cars to over the past several years, but will still get the usual safety inspection.
Mecklenburg is adopting the computer hookup emissions testing that other counties have been using for the past few years.

FYI, On July 16,2004, NC Legislature passed Senate Bill 1083, which in one part states that any 'collector' vechicle over 35 years old from "date of manufacture", will no longer need to have the annual safety inspection. Further, such vechicles do NOT have to bear the "Antique" oe "Horseless Carriage" plate. JR