1977 Gran Marquis - help replacing ignition key steering collar on tilt wheel

Greetings all. broken shifter and holder on auto transmission type steering column with a tilt wheel. The only steering column I could find was one
with the ignition key lock punched out with a thrashed collar. So I pulled the original steering column and removed the good collar and also removed the bad collar from the one I bought. Everything went fine until I tried to line up the ignition key gear with the actualtor teeth which connect to rod assembly that travels down to the ignition switch. The teeth aren't lining up on the lock gear properly and I could find absolutely nothing on the forum sites. I've tried everything I can think of so....switch to ON-key to ON....(like it came apart) ....tried ACCESSORY....OFF...God I'm tired....AND TESTED!!! LOL!
figured I'd scream "HELP" to all you experts. Can you help please and advise an greying ol' man? I 'preciate it!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net
Your choice..... :)