1981 Fairmont wont start in minus 30 degree Weather.

What are the some of the causes a vehicle will not start in minus 30 degree weather?

1) Battery is one year old and in good condition......till I drained it cranking the vehicle 2) Gas tank 3/4 full 3) Castrol GTX 10/30 oil 4) Fresh anti freeze after flushing a couple of months ago 60% anti freeze 40% water good for minus 40 degrees.

At my home when temperature drops below minus15 degrees I plug it in for 4 hours overnight using a timer and never have any trouble starting the vehicle. I got caught at my place of work yesterday when the temp dropped to minus 30 degrees with my vehicle outdoors all day. When I went to my vehicle after work and tried starting it, the engine sounded like an engine sounds on a bitterly cold day when you have not had the block heater heat the block. I discharged the battery after many minutes of trying to start the vehicle. Got some Cold Start spray and sprayed it down the throat of the carb and got someone to give me a boost still no go. There were a few times the engine almost started.

Is the oil thickened too much on account of the cold? Not enough play between piston rings and cylinder walls? Gasoline lines frozen and gas not flowing?

Have never had this problem before.

Your input appreciated Denny

Reply to
Denny B

atec77

-30 temperature will cause any moisture in the fuel lines, filter, and such to freeze. I have had this happen, and I solved the problem by using "heet", an additive to prevent freezing. I have also had a fuel pump go out on a -20 day, it was idling normally, and just died, no warning. Check out this link:

Reply to
Steve Carroll

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

If you haven't changed the spark plugs in the last couple of years this makes a tremendous difference when it is -30. You need to have fresh plugs and the oil already suggested will help. Clean your battery terminals even if it was done recently. If your starter is old and tired this needs to be changed.

Reply to
Scott

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Mike Ewart

I'm from Minnesota. Once a battery has drained and froze, it will never be the same-doesn't have the cranking power or stamina even after recharging. It usually has a noticeable bulge on either one or both sides. An engine that old usually has bad compression and what we do is pour a little oil in a quart of gas and pour it into the carb to help compression.

Reply to
Amosf Weise