1983 Lincoln MKVII fuel injection problems

Help a newbie please!!!

My father-in-law has an '83 Lincoln with a 302 fuel injected.

The problem is... When starting - it imediatly floods out. It will not even start unless the pedal is held to the floor and the engine will die as soon as the pedal is let up at all. A local mechanic has not done much other than charge a bundle. I slaved in a MAP sensor and a computer but neither fixed the problem. (I kept the slave MAP sensor installed while I put the computer in just in case that both were bad.)

Any and All help will be much appreciated. He is 70 yrs old and I don't want him to have to spend a fortune for his mechanic to throw parts at it until it's fixed.

As a last resort - how hard would it be to scrap the fuel injection and go with an Edelbrock intake and carb?

Reply to
Skeeter

"Skeeter @yahoo. com>" Help a newbie please!!!

I have an '83 grand marquis. Unfortunatly, I don't think I've run into that problem. However, I had the same idea... if I ever run into this problem, or any other costly problem with the fuel injection system... I would consider putting a carburetor, and maybe a different intake manifold. With a performance series from edelbrock... would probably get a noticable increase in horsepower.... there was a thread I had a few days ago, I was told that my car stock was rated at 125 or 130 horsepower... I figure yours is the same (although I have dual exast and no cats, and no air pump... but I don't think that added much).

So I too would like to know how tough it might be to pitch away the fuel injection system.

Nic

Reply to
Robotnik

Skeeter wrote in news:Xns94F3D7BA14398tcbinksATyahooDOTcom@151.164.30.92:

sounds like you might have a injector stuck open, or the throttle poition sensor bad. either way, find a real mech. one that can diag. not just throw parts at it. Or go ahead and just swap back to a carb. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

"Skeeter @yahoo. com>" Help a newbie please!!!

Basics! Fuel pressure. Should be 40 psi. Being an 83 I would also have doubts on the timing chain, so again BASICS, check cam to crank timing. It is very doubtful as you have partially found out that it is not a computer or sensor problem.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I drove an '84 with the throttle-body injection for 180k miles. Never had one injector problem. I did have some trouble with the EGR valve sticking which kills the engine quick. Why do you think it's choked? Lots of black smoke indicates flooding, otherwise, look elsewhere. Maybe even a bad vacuum line or three... You have some good suggestions here - but you might even consider having a Ford dealer check it out. They have huge databases to refer to and lots of training for this type of problem.

By the way, Mr. Moats is a great resource here - get a manual and check what he tells you to.

PoD

"Skeeter @yahoo. com>" Help a newbie please!!!

Reply to
Paul of Dayton