1984 Ranger backfires through exhaust

I have a 1984 Ford Ranger with manual transmission and it backfires from the exhaust (very loud) sometimes when I back off the accelerator kick. It does this mostly changing gears between 2nd and 3rd.

This is usually caused by an exhaust leak (allowing air into the exhaust) or by a faulty thermactor system. Is the air pump hooked up an the vacuum lines intact? This may be difficult to diagnose at a distance with someone unfamiliar with the system.

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 04:10:16 GMT, "Jim Warman"

lmfao has nothing to do with thermactor lmfao telle me warman heat sheild causes backfires??
must be a slave lake thing
rich mixture
hurc ast

How do you get heat shield out of thermactor??? I suppose I could have used a more Fordly term such as AIR system but what the hey?
I know a few people that would love to have some of what you're smoking...

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 04:10:16 +0000, Jim Warman wrote:

Could be a lean mixture also.
Rodney
-