1984 Ranger backfires through exhaust

I have a 1984 Ford Ranger with manual transmission and it backfires from the exhaust (very loud) sometimes when I back off the accelerator kick. It does this mostly changing gears between 2nd and 3rd.

Reply to
cf9887

This is usually caused by an exhaust leak (allowing air into the exhaust) or by a faulty thermactor system. Is the air pump hooked up an the vacuum lines intact? This may be difficult to diagnose at a distance with someone unfamiliar with the system.

Reply to
Jim Warman

lmfao has nothing to do with thermactor lmfao telle me warman heat sheild causes backfires??

must be a slave lake thing

rich mixture

hurc ast

Reply to
hurricane 575

How do you get heat shield out of thermactor??? I suppose I could have used a more Fordly term such as AIR system but what the hey?

I know a few people that would love to have some of what you're smoking...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Could be a lean mixture also.

Rodney