1986 Country Squire Wagon

The engine in my '86 wagon (5.0 liter V8) went out at 105K miles - bent the main shaft. It that common for these? I'd think they'd last a bit longer than that.
Randy Farnsworth Author of "A Stand Yet Taken" http://randyfarnsworth.com /

What are you calling the "main shaft"? How do you know it's bent?

I actually already replaced the engine, I was just wondering if this was a common occurrence.
It was driving at freeway speeds with bikes on the roof, and it started clicking real loud - like gunshot type of loud. I pulled into a garage and the whole crew came running out because it was so loud. I guess it was the main shaft that drives the valves. They could tell what it was without even looking. I was still able to drive the vehicle, so I limped it home, then to an engine swapping place to replace it with a rebuilt.
Randy Farnsworth Author of "A Stand Yet Taken" http://randyfarnsworth.com /

So you actually do not know what the noise was or what was wrong then. The shaft that drives the valves is called a cam shaft. You more than likely lost oil pressure and the noise was the rod and main bearings knocking and maybe some lifter noise. How many miles on the damaged engine and how often was the oil filter changed?

Yes, the cam shaft. I'd forgotten what they called it. Three mechanics all told me the same thing, so I assume they were correct. They said it was probably bent from a bad bearing - similar to what you're describing. It wasn't just bad valves or something out of adjustment, though - you could hear this thing from a half mile away.
It had just over 100k miles on it. I'm pretty religious about oil changes and maintenence, but I had only boughten this car 18 months prior to this, so I don't know about the previous owner. I appeared very well maintained, though, but you can't really tell by looking.
Randy Farnsworth Author of "A Stand Yet Taken" http://randyfarnsworth.com /

shaft
he said 105k pay attention tommy
oil change? what's that?
think he bent the crank!
take care Bob
Hey, looks like bobby the troll is back. That A/C computer in the trunk still working, or did some one mistake the Air Suspension module for a "A/C computer" and now it squats in the ass-end?

So his original message said 105k, now he says just over 100k your point?

Has someting to do with a A/C computer in the trunk of a 90 Town Car, it keeps stupid people like you poor.

Doubt that.