1986 Ford Aerostar idle problems

I have a 1986 Ford Aerostar and this problem has just started recently. its a 5 speed manual transmission, rear wheel drive with a 4 cylinder engine and fuel injection.

When it first starts up, it doesn't want to idle. i have to give it gas to get it started and keep giving it a little gas to keep it from stalling out. So when i come to a stop, i have to put it in neutral, keep giving it gas and break with my left foot.

This problem only continues until the engine warms up, in which case it idles O.K. without stalling. I know hardly anything about cars, so any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
kitsunex

khanley1

i am a ford tech and from what you are saying it sounds like a sticking IAC ( idle air control solenoid)mounted on the intake plenum

Reply to
khanley1

step one ignore the iac for a bit and clean the throttle body... does it work now?

then you can try cleaning the iac they can be partially taken apart ..... clean all the black buildup off the pieces and try it

Reply to
fireater