1986 Ford Engine Swap HELP

I have a 1986 F150 with the fuel injected 302 in it, well the crank bearings or a rod has gone out of it. I can get ahold of a 1986 lincoln towncar with
a fuel injected 302 in it for a song. Are these going to be the same as in that I can just swap it over ? Or are the computers going to be different or how can I tell ? Or remove the computer from the town car along with the engine ? Thanks, Iowa883

Beyond me, but won't the towncar computer be tweaked for towncar driving characteristics, sensors or whatever? Is the air/fuel injection the same (CFI vs. EFI)? Are the sensors the same? It's your bottom end that is giving you trouble, just replace the broken part.
My shade-tree gut feeling would be to combine the towncar block/head with the F150 sensors, air intake, etc., but then I would only be able to see what would happen when I tried turning the ignition key.
Have a blast! Matt

I would think a 302 is a 302, basically. The truck version may have some differances(cam/distr possibly), but it should just bolt up. I'd use the same sensors and other parts from the truck though.
You might post question in a Ford group like the fordtrucks dot com. Probably get better info there.
Hope this helps some.......
Dave S(Texas)
Iowa883 wrote:

All you need to replace is the block, you have come upon a cheap solution. Almost all 1986 blocks for the 302 / 5.0 will interchange, including the Lincoln-to-F150... inc. Crown/Grand Marquis Cougar/Thunderbird, etc.
Keep your heads, intake, computer etc., these are specific to the truck application.
Rob
Iowa883 opined in

here's what you do.... look up a repalcement "long block" for each. See if they are the same part number.
Keep all "bolt-on" stuff with the truck... dont change computers sensors or any wiring
Iowa883 wrote on 10/31/2004 18:03 ET :

For swapping you need some auto parts in your automobile, so I suggest to get better output with your swapping you should consider some technical supervision. You can check with your mechanic or can take some expert advice available online, as some I have checked online at http://www.hiperformer.com/engine_basics/engine_repair.html page while performing swapping of my car engine.
On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 05:41:44 -0500, cindy-speidel

1986 302 to 1986 302 will be one of the easier swaps. The lincoln may have a different cam and different injection, but the long block will be the same. More or less worst case scenario you will remove the intake and exhaust from both engines and swap them, putting the truck parts back into the truck. You may also need to swap the il pan. If so (or even if not) check it closely for corrosion - a lot easier and cheaper to put a new truck pan on it while the engine is out - and they DO have a bad problem with rust in many areas. The cam will be close enough that the computer won't care too much.
Keep the truck computer and wiring harness etc.