1986 ford f-150

trying to change oil pan gasket cant get enough clearance to get oil pan out

Reply to
shane481t

Yeah... that sux doesnt it. Lift engine, and remember the oil pickup.. dont break or bend it.

Or drop crossmember

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Of course engine type doesn't matter (and IIRC, it doesn't) - of course you have the pan dropped and all that crap off the sides of the motor are now in the pan... along with any other manner of debris. If the pan has to come out, the upper intake on V engines comes off as does the fan shroud - even then it is a PITA.

Me? I carefully clean the pan and motor the day before leaving enough time for everything to dry. Drop the pan as far as possible and work very carefully to avoid debris getting in the pan. Old gasket out, new gasket in - done deal.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim Warman wote:

I've done it this way, too. Had to replace the gasket on a Grand Marquis without taking the engine out of the vehicle. If you're very patient and you remember to work your way past the oil pickup tube, it works. Took me 3-5 hours to get the old one out and the new one bolted into place. The most difficult part was holding the gasket in place with one hand, holding the oil pan in place with another hand, and then finding a 3rd hand to start the first bolt while trying to make sure the gasket wasn't trying to fall into the middle of the pan. Find someone to help you and it shouldn't be quite as time consuming.

Reply to
drsmith

thanks for the help i`ll try taking off air intake to get enough clearance

Reply to
shane481t