1986 Ford F150 Fuel tank switch HELP

I am very sure my tanks aren't switching and for some reason the gas guage doesn't work when switched to either tank . I have a question about the tank
switcher. Does it work on vaccuum, because there isn't any wires going to it. What actually switches the tanks when you flip the switch on the dash ? Thanks, Raz
the switch is electrically operated. it probably went bad, and was disconnected and bypassed

Tom wrote:

i wonder if you could just have them feed equally. isn't there a pump for each tank, and then a 3rd pump for both?