1986 Ford Tempo power steering help

Replaced alternator on brothers 86 Tempo He is Still haveing trouble While giving him a jump start tonight noticed Alt belt Turning slowly to point i could stop it while car running
looking further when i did this 2 pulleys that alt belt and serpentine belt stoped wondering if need to replace powersteering unit since it looks like that is where pulleys are attached to Any advice is apprecieated Thank you
ken snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Guess you replaced the alternator unnecessarily.
Goes to show the value of actually looking close. The problem, I would think, is in belt tension, not a bad PS pump.
You have to tighten the belt before you can diagnose anything else.
While belt is off, or very loose, spin the idlers and check for bearing slop in the driven components
you pay..DEAL with it!
well put new alt belt on it and still happened
ken snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

BELT TENSION!!!!!?????
DID YOU CHECK THE IDLERS,TENSIONERS AND PULLEYS FOR FREE-SPIN AND SLOP???!!!
Should not be 'gravelly', in/out or side/side excessively, wobble, or stiff.
belt should not deflect a lot to the index finger, should be about the same, or just a little more, as sidewall on properly inflated tire.
you pay..DEAL with it!

alt won't turn fast enough to charge. Bob
ken snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

pump and AC, and another from the AC to the alternator. It was something like that anyway. Look close at the belts, the tensioner would fail or get weak and the alternator would slow down under load also. Now that I think about it, the small belt went from the alt. to the AC. Either way, your problem is the tensioner and/or the serpentine belt. Likely both.
thanks I will look at that
Power steering to alternator and IIRC it isn't an automatic tensioner but one that needs to be manually adjusted. Bob