1988 ford 350 diesel cube van

Got a chance to get a 1988 cube van cheap. I have not seen it yet. It has a 350 diesel. tranny won't go into forward.
My questions are:
whose diesel would have been in a 88 cube van?
Was it a good engine and what kind of problems did they have?
Which automatic trannie would have been mated to it?
Bob
-

I did a little checking, but have not been able to find a Ford application for a diesel of that size in 1988. Maybe you could be a little more specific than 'cube' van...Exactly what is it?
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

Cube van is like a small rider rental truck. Has a beefed up van chassis with an aftermarket rectangular box with roll up door on the back. The 350 on the side may stand for E350 rather than the motor size. I am trying to figure out what motor they used and what trannie. Navistar 6.7 or 7.3 maybe? C6? or? I still have not seen it yet so just going on some second hand descriptions.
Bob
-
I'm sure the van is an E-350. Ford never made a 350 CI diesel engine that I'm aware of. I did a junkyard search for you for that year van and the only diesel the Hollander says was used in that year was the 7.3.
I then searched the 7.3 diesel equipped E-350 and it appears that for 1988 the only auto tranny that was mated to the diesel was a C-6. This search was not quite as conclusive as the engine search, but I'm relatively certain that you're looking at a C-6. I'm 97% certain you're looking at a 7.3 engine.
CJB

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:01:05 GMT, "CJB"

7.3 non powerstroke also used by international if ya want parts try them
hurc

A 1988 E350 highcube van would have come with a 7.3 liter diesel. this is a good motor if taken care of, and 400k miles is not out of the question, 300k is common. the thing to look for is ph level in the coolant system. if the proper additives have been kept up, there will be no porosity in the cylinder liners. the trans will be either a C6 or an AOD. you are looking at around $1100 to $2500 for a trans rebuild, depending on the trans type and what it needs.

I can't in my wildest dreams imagine that Ford would put an AOD behind a 7.3.
CJB

Neither can I. It is most likely the C6. They are pretty tough, and can be rebuilt a lot cheaper than some of the trannies on the street today.
the first year for an overdrive trans with a diesel was 88, behind the 7.3. I know, I had 3 of them. the trans did not last over 1000 miles in any of them though. that is why I put a C6 in my personal truck.

tom wrote:

How do you tell them apart? Is there letters on the pan or such?
Either way, you cannot just drop a generic c6 or such in? Did the diesels have a different bell housing on the trannie? Different shift point programming?
Bob

-
The diesel bell housing pattern does NOT match either BBF or SBF patterns.
Erich

actually seen them with 500000mi just keep replacing injectors and sometimes injection pump the early 90s had the aod i think they started in 89
hurc ast

bob international many mini school busses are diesel prolly c6
hurc ast