1988 ford ranger 2.9L starting problem

I have a starting problem that even some of the professional mechanics at the dealership can't seem to figure out. The problem started with the RPM's running low and the truck would die if I let off the gas, then on startup
the truck would start and I would have a rough idle, like the motor was going to jump out of the truck. After a few weeks, it would stall and take a few cranks to start it. I ended up parking it for a year, and it won't start at all. So far the mechanics say they have checked the compression, spark plugs, wiring, fuel pump, etc. and everything seems to be ok. They also checked the computer and can't get any reading, and they even went as far as to use a known working computer but still can't get any kind of readings.
any kind of help would be grately appreciated Thanks in advance