1988 Ford Thunderbird coolant leak

I've had a coolant leak coming from way back under the engine, past the water pump. I took my 88 T-bird (6 cyl, 3.8 lit engine) into a brake place for repair.
Guy said the coolant leak is coming from the timing chain cover. Is this possible?
Assuming that this engine is anything like the V6/3.8L on my '85 LTD, the water pump mounts on top of the timing cover, and the timing cover has coolant passages in it. So yes, a bad timing cover gasket (or possibly a crack in the cover) could cause it. Make sure you don't have coolant in the crankcase - it could leak internally as well.