1988 Ford Thunderbird coolant leak

I've had a coolant leak coming from way back under the engine, past the water pump. I took my 88 T-bird (6 cyl, 3.8 lit engine) into a brake place for repair. Guy said the coolant leak is coming from the timing chain cover. Is this possible?

Reply to
sartana68

Assuming that this engine is anything like the V6/3.8L on my '85 LTD, the water pump mounts on top of the timing cover, and the timing cover has coolant passages in it. So yes, a bad timing cover gasket (or possibly a crack in the cover) could cause it. Make sure you don't have coolant in the crankcase - it could leak internally as well.

Reply to
Happy Traveler