1988 Grand marquis won't start.

I accidentally left interior lights on in the vehicle over night. of course the battery drained down in -22C weather. I attempted to boost car with a
spare battery. while doing so something went pow & I smelled an electrical burning smell from under the hood. Recharged battery all day & car turns over fine but no start. I did some checking, & found out I have no spark at the plugs. Tomorrow will check coil resistance's again. can check TFI module. Do I have to take distributor out on this module to remove TFI module? Any suggestions on other possibilities?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Do you hear fuel pump at 'key-on' and does check engine light come on?
Will you guys QUIT with the 'resistance checks'!..MEANS almost NOTHING unless you REALLY know your electrical theory. Check for power to coil + at key-on? Should be 8-10 volts, 10-12 on crank. coil minus flickering when engine cranked?
But I suspect you have a serious electrical burnout, hopefully just a fuse-link. But I doubt it.
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
you pay..DEAL with it!
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

followed Haynes manual, and placed a test light on coil negative, & grounded out the secondary side. Test light lit up when turning key to on position. It dimmed a bit when cranking, but i did not notice any flickering. Should the flickering be real noticible?

Like how serious are we talking here? I think I caught all the fuse links & tested for power on both sides, & the ones I tested checked ok.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well I could perceive flicker when I did it.. but that was a four cyl..

hmmm.. you could be right about the TFI..
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
you pay..DEAL with it!
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

It is so dam cold here now, & even though I have a garage it is unheated and everything is difficult & stiff to work on. If it was summer time I Would take my time & do it myself. I truly suspect it is either the TFI & the pickup in the distributor. I had this vehicle for 10 1/2 years now & never had any starting difficulties with it.With out proper diagnostic equipment it would be just changing out parts (not that that would hurt, not knowing how old they are anyway.) So I am, going to have it towed somewhere this week, & pay the big bucks to have it repaired. I will post what they found.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.