1989 4x4 F-250

Trying to start it. It may kickoff the first time,drive to the store, come back out to start it again an it might just turn over a over, I put the peddle to the floor it wants to start but it takes a long time. But
get down the road an runs like a top. Is there something I can check or change ? I change the two little module plugs, sometime them things are the problem. CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE !