1989 Cougar

Hi all,
My 1989 Cougar won't hold a charge. I bought a brand new battery, new terminals, and it still won't hold a charge for more than a few hours.
Could it be the alternator? How can you tell?
TIA!
Pull 1 of the terminals, put a amp meter in between terminal and post and if it pulls more than 0.5 amps you have a problem.
You have to wait a couple of seconds and let interior lites go out before getting a accurate reading