1989 Crown Victoria Transmission Question

Hello, I have a 1989 Crown Victoria which has recently began to not catch or sync with its gears when it shifts. For example when I put the car
into drive, from Park, and step on the gas the car acts as if it is in neutral for a few seconds and then syncs with the first gear, but as soon as the car is ready to shift into second gear the same thing happens. Also, the other day I needed to back the car up, shifted it into reverse and the car never caught, it only sat there while I continuned to slowly press the gas. So as of now it will not drive in reverse and the drive gears are constantly not catching. Also, I should say that this has been a slowly developing problem. It started out only slightly stalling before catching a gear and has built up to where it currently is. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.