1989 E250 Fuel Problem

The van has a straight 6, 2 gas tanks. I alway use the rear tank since there is a problem with the front. All of a sudden the van stopped running.
I hear the pumps cycle when I turn the switch but the gas isn't getting past the canister where the hoses from both tanks meet. There are 2 hoses from each tank entering the canister but only 2 between the canister and the pump and filter under the driver's seat. Even if I put the hose from the front pump in a can of gas and crank the engine, gas never reaches the front filter or the front pump. I replaced both.
Is there a sensor stopping the current to that pump that makes is stop after the initial cycle when the switch is in the ON position? Is that pump supposed to have current constantly or does it stop and start according to another sensor? If it does stop and start, where is the sensor that controls it? If it's the computer, where is that?
It turned out to be the fuel pump in the rear tank which I couldn't replace myself since I didn't have a lift.