1989 f250 transmission problems!

Page 1 of 2
Hi, I own a 1989 f250 2wd pickup with the 351 engine with 85000 original miles on it. I had the last tranny oil/filter change about 10000 miles ago. Anyway, starting last week, my truck will die everytime I come to a
stop because it starts "lurching" as I'm stopping. It's like the transmission is not letting "go" for lack of a better description. (think of a manual transmission in 1st gear, and try to stop the vehicle without engauging the clutch) I'm having to shift into nuetral as I coast to a stop, then rev the engine a bit and pop it into drive to get going again. Another strange thing is..if I turn off the engine, then start it up, put it in drive and drive around slowly (like a parking lot) the transmission seems fine. I can come to a stop, and start going again normally. But every time I get up to more speed, like over 15-20 mph the tranny will not "let go" when I stop, and it lurches again, and the engine dies.
Anyone heard of this before? Ideas? Thanks, Rick
something is broken inside
On 18 Jan 2004 11:04:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Falcoon) wrote:

Ya think? I was hoping it wasn't. It's odd though that the tranny works fine in every other respect. It shifts up smooth, into passing gear as it should. OD works fine. And, it works from a stop just fine if I turn the engine off and restart it. I was hoping it might be an electrical issue. Rick

stop when it does it, then shut it down, restart and its normal again? The reason you have to get to speed is because it wont lock till you get up to higher speed cruising conditions, this is by design. If this is the problem it is either the valve is sticking or its an electrical problem. See if your brake lights are working too, the brake pedal should disingage the lock-up. Thats about all I can tell you cause I'm no tranny expert. GL

I just went out and tried the brake lights, and they seem to work fine.
When it happens, I can come to a stop, shut off the engine, and restart it, and it will be fine again (may take 2 restarts though).
I also thought it might be an electrical problem because of this.
I just got off the phone with the local Transmission repair shop. They also said it sounded like the torque converter was not unlocking. He's going to call me tomorrow morning to discuss it.
Fingers crossed that this isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg to get fixed. Rick
i had my whole trans redone on a 2wd car.. 800 bux... I asssume yours will cost half that at the right place
Ken

How could you make assumptions about cost when you don't know what's wrong? Bob

because I HAD THE WHOLE TRANS REBUILT... the whole thing.... its a 2wd car and it is a trans problem... at most it would cost 850$ if you went to the guy by me... however.. since I dont think the whole thing needs to be rebuilt... i say it would be less...
no assumption about it... I know what the running price of rebuilding a trans is.... I know that doing only sections of it must cost less.
Ken

I really doubt if the original poster knows "the guy by you", and I doubt that any transmission shops car how much you paid to get the trans in your car fixed. Ever priced a rebuilt E4OD? Bob

Alright look... I only attempted to help the poor guy who originally posted... And yes... the guy by me (POP and Son shop) will rebuild any trans for $850. Its in his slogan. No i have never had any experience with a E4OD transmission or its problems, however going on the simple fact that the guy by me rebuilds any 2wd for $850 kind of makes me have the feeling that he must still be making something. Ortherwise wouldnt his lights be out?
I figured Somebody would say I was mistaken, this group is full of people that knock down other peoples advice... and by the way advice is advice, its not what somebody must do to survice or they must follow or their car will explode, advice is simply ones opinions based on facts to attempt to help others in need, thats what advice is... take it or leave it. If you think its stupid advice then ignore it. Or at least leave a reason why it is stupid, or is disagreeable, I was just leeaving my feedback of what I know as fact. I dont know transmissions or how to troubleshoot them. I do know however that people are making money by rebuilding them for $850. The original poster can do what he / she wishes.
I also agree that the "guy by me" is most likely not even remotely close to the original poster, however I find it hard to beleive that the "guy by me" has the only honest shop in the world.
So thomas, want to enlighten me why you feel i am mistaken? Or is it just easier for you to just challenge everybody and leave the conversation hanging?
If you think i am mistaken about the price ill have to dig up the guys number so you can call him, is that really necessary?
Or was I mistaken that rebuilding parts of a transmission costs less then rebuilding the whole thing? Please make your self more clear, was I mistaken about one part of my reply or another, or am i just a big mistake? If we follow your logic that rebuilding part of something is more expensive then rebuilding the whole thing, wouldnt it be cheaper to rebuild the whole car piece by piece, hell that might be cheaper then redoing the trans, is that what you are saying? I dont think it is, but with such a bland and non informative statement the only thing one can do is assume.
Basically what I am saying is spit out something constructive or go away, I see enough meaningless arguments in this newsgroup as it is. So if you disagree with something somebody says it would be wise to back it up, then maybe I or whoever else can see eye to eye with the person who disagrees. Simply saying "thats where your wrong" does no good for me or the original poster, it may make you feel better because you think youre better then the next guy, but if that is your intent then I suggest you leave a reason of why you disagree.
I am awating a response. Please embed your comments as always, it makes it easier to understand where you are coming from.
Thanks, Ken

to fix something. So, you might as well overhaul the whole thing. But, that is not *always* the case. There are *alot* of times when you can just fix one problem without o/h ing the whole trans. On an older pickup like this one the trans will be easy to get out/in so the labor there isnt that bad, and rest depends on how deep you have to go in it. Rick just needs to take it to a tranny shop and find out, and I hope he lets us know what it was. BTW, I enjoyed that >"Basically what I am saying is spit out something constructive or go away"< part :)
thanks I try to make people laugh :)
Kenny

Don't get your panties in such a bunch. Your were mistaken only in one way. Yes it is possible that only lets say one clutch is bad, you still have to remove and tear down the unit. In other words labor is the same. The soft parts come in a kit, so no money saved there. Can you get the frictions one clutch at a time? Sometimes but at higher cost. It would also be stupid to not check out and reseal the other clutches, and of course you have to reseal the rest of the transmission, unless of course you do not want to warranty your work. Is this shop making money on a $850 "rebuild", most likely yes. The profit margin? To many unknowns.

thanks for the reply, just saying "you are mistaken" is not good how shall we say.... good newsgrouping?
Anyway thanks for the reply, i feel better now. They original poster may not want to spend the next 5 weeks digging up parts and spending his time reselling old clutches or whatever is in the thing.. thats why i suggested what i did.. its fast easy and relitivly cheap.
Thanks, Ken

You could have easily asked "how am I mistaken"? If my statement was "good newsgrouping" or not is only your opinion on your part, one that I do not agree with. I could have flamed you, I did not. Only made a statement based on your statement. There was no knock on your advise. BTW, advise should be correct, I think you should know why but I'll give you an example. Would you advise some one to put out a fire with diesel fuel? It's wet is it not? It's liquid is it not? It ought to work like water correct? Get the point? So get the panties out the arse and put down the attitude.

if you didnt notice.. the panties were put away two posts ago...
And if they have enough diesel fuel they can put the fire out... they just have to totally drench it.
You can even put out fires with gasoline. The fumes are the most flammable part.. the liquid is fairly manageable.
Ken

Take care,

The way it looks too me you're just not too bright. You dumped gasoline on a fire and didn't get burned... good for you. Keep it up though and Darwinism is likely to catch up eventually. You sound like the kind of guy who if played Russian roulette once and found himself still alive would announce "see I told you this game was safe!" Bob