1989 Ford Econoline Van E-150

I have the Ford Econoline E-150 van and i was driving it one day and got about a few houses away from my house and it just died. everything shut off. i crank the engine and it turns and turns and turns but no ignition. just keeps cranking until the battery runs down. i put a new battery in just in case and still just cranks but no ignition. i changed the igniotion coil still nothing. what can it possibly be?

Reply to
bigmann245

A gasoline engine needs 3 things to run, spark, fuel, and air; it has to get those things in sufficient supply and at the right time.

First, check to see if you have spark. Remove a plug, ground it to something under the hood and have someone crank the engine. If you see spark in the gap, you should be ok there. Be sure not to hold the plug with a bare hand though, or it'll shock you.

Secondly, check fuel for sufficient pressure and flow. The first thing to do is turn the key and listen for a click that will be the fuel pump relay. You should also have someone turn the key while you hold your head near the tank. You should hear a motor running. That's the fuel pump. If you don't hear the pump, it could be the inertia switch, the fuel pump, the fuel pump relay, or some wiring flaw.

If you hear the pump run, check for proper fuel pressure. On the fuel rail that leads to the injectors, you'll see a Schrader valve similar to the one on the tires. Get a fuel pressure gauge and check for sufficient pressure.

I doubt you have an air problem, either in or out, because of your symptoms. That'll usually cause a loss in power, not an immediate shut down.

My bet's is the fuel pump isn't working for whatever reason.

CJ

about a few houses away from my house and it just died. everything shut off. i crank the engine and it turns and turns and turns but no ignition. just keeps cranking until the battery runs down. i put a new battery in just in case and still just cranks but no ignition. i changed the igniotion coil still nothing. what can it possibly be?

Reply to
CJBrown

[...]

Had that happen on my '86 E150. Ran fine and then just died in traffic. Had it towed to local shop. Bad ignition module. Fine one minute and as dead as Julius Ceasar the next.

Reply to
D F Bonnett