1989 Ford F-150 A/C Repair

I have a 1989 Ford F-150 2WD Extended Cab with a 302 FI Engine and Automatic Transmission.

I assume the A/C in this truck is Factory-installed, but I have no immediate proof of that.

I was told last year that the A/C compressor had gone out. I have heard when you replace the compressor, there are other parts you should replace as well. I don't want to rebuild everything (after all, it's a 15 year old truck), but I also don't want to kill a new part by skimping on other parts.

I live in South Alabama, so A/C is important enough to fix.

I plan to complete the conversion to R-134a when we fix it.

2 questions... what do I realistically need to replace and does anyone have a favorite online dealer for affordable A/C parts for this era truck?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Thomas

drier, expansion tube, flushing the rest of the system would be a good idea also.

Reply to
Scott M

Thanks,

We changed the compressor, the dryer and o-rings. All total, we spent about $250 including the refrigerant and I once again have A/C.

I love the way Ford vehicles will freeze you out of the car! My Chevy Lumina didn't blow anywhere near this cold when we converted it. The truck is cold in less than 45 seconds, even in the oppressive Alabama heat.

Reply to
Steve Thomas