1989 Ford Van Throttle Body Injection

I am seeking trouble-shooting info for 1989 Ford Van w/351 Throttle Body Injection. Fails to inject the initial amount needed for proper starting. I can hear
the solenoid sound when turning the key, but does not inject any fuel. When I shoot a squirt of gas down the venturi, it fires and runs fine. Does this happen often with throttle body injection? Is there a kit or replacemnt assembly for this? Does it require bleeding? Thanx
Are you looking down the throttle body while cranking the engine? Not familiar with your engine, but I seriously doubt that any fuel is supposed to be injected until the EEC receives pulses from the distributor sensor. It's fairly easy to test the fuel pressure and check for presence of injector firing pulses, but if the engine delivers enough power on full throttle, I doubt that you have a fuel injection problem. Did you read the trouble codes? All it takes on an 89 is a paper clip. One possibility would be a defective coolant temperature sensor fooling the EEC to think that the engine is hot.
IK