1989 Mercury Cougar LS question....

I had just replaced the head gaskets in this car(3.8 v6) and now when I start it up and it runs for a few minutes it idles high...around 2,000. Didnít have this problem before. Also when running it idles
a little high too...when I take my foot off the brake while itís in drive, it pulls quite a bit. Anyway, also the spedometer isnít working now too. Any ideas??
James
--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"DATA98" wrote: > I had just replaced the head gaskets in this car(3.8 v6) and > now when I start it up and it runs for a few minutes it idles > high...around 2,000. Didn't have this problem before. Also > when running it idles a little high too...when I take my foot > off the brake while it's in drive, it pulls quite a bit. > Anyway, also the spedometer isn't working now too. Any > ideas?? > > > > James
So no clues?? Was hoping someone would have an idea....
James
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
sounds like a vacuum leak

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I think it might be the idle air controller on top of the engine. A similar thing happened to me and this solved it , but it was a few years ago. The IAC is like a (paper filterthing) inside so be carefull when putting a new (or used from the scrapyard like I did)on. Gears

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"gears" wrote: > I think it might be the idle air controller on top of the > engine. A similar > thing happened to me and this solved it , but it was a few > years ago. The > IAC is like a (paper filterthing) inside so be carefull when > putting a new > (or used from the scrapyard like I did)on. > Gears >
> > > "DATA98" wrote: > &nbsp;> > I had just replaced the head gaskets in this > car(3.8 v6) and > &nbsp;> > now when I start it up and it runs for a few > minutes it idles > &nbsp;> > high...around 2,000. Didn't have this problem > before. Also > &nbsp;> > when running it idles a little high too...when I > take my foot > &nbsp;> > off the brake while it's in drive, it pulls quite a > bit. > &nbsp;> > Anyway, also the spedometer isn't working now too. > Any > &nbsp;> > ideas?? > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > James > > > > So no clues?? Was hoping someone would have an idea.... > > > > > > James
Well it was a vacuum leak that was causing the car too idle too high, but now I have another problem. It has an electronic dash, and when I was done putting everything together after putting the head gaskets on...I started the car and drove it and the speedometer was working fine plus it was showing me the average miles per gallon, how much gas is in the tank, etc... well, a little after that the speedometer stoped working. Any idea what would make the speedometer and dash not work? Itís lit up and everything, just not telling me how fast Iím going. So, any ideas...and thanks too everyone for the help. I really appreciate it.
Thanks Alot, James
--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"DATA98" wrote: > Well it was a vacuum leak that was causing the car too idle > too high, but now I have another problem. It has an > electronic dash, and when I was done putting everything > together after putting the head gaskets on...I started the car > and drove it and the speedometer was working fine plus it was > showing me the average miles per gallon, how much gas is in > the tank, etc... well, a little after that the speedometer > stoped working. Any idea what would make the speedometer and > dash not work? It's lit up and everything, just not telling > me how fast I'm going. So, any ideas...and thanks too > everyone for the help. I really appreciate it. > > > Thanks Alot, > James
Any clue on the speedometer anyone?
James
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Sounds like something got re-connected not quite tight enough and it fell off/loosened up to the point of inoperability, or something got munged while you were working on something near it. Check everything you worked on, and anything near there, cables, electrical connectors, etc.
...or it could be a coincidental failure unrelated to the work you did.
What, exactly, is displayed on the dash? Zeros? Any numbers? No numbers? Is there a zero for speed and it just stays zero when you are driving?
If the backlight for the display is working but there are no digits displayed (no LCD segments at all) then I would suspect that something electrical between the computer and the display is preventing a readout. If, OTOH, there is a zero displayed for speed, that doesn't change when you are driving, you know the readout is probably OK and you should look to see if maybe the speedometer cable got knocked loose.

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Arthur Dent1" wrote: > Sounds like something got re-connected not quite tight enough > and it fell > off/loosened up to the point of inoperability, or something > got munged while > you were working on something near it. Check everything you > worked on, and > anything near there, cables, electrical connectors, etc. > > ....or it could be a coincidental failure unrelated to the > work you did. > > What, exactly, is displayed on the dash? Zeros? Any numbers? > No numbers? Is > there a zero for speed and it just stays zero when you are > driving? > > If the backlight for the display is working but there are no > digits > displayed (no LCD segments at all) then I would suspect that > something > electrical between the computer and the display is preventing > a readout. If, > OTOH, there is a zero displayed for speed, that doesn't change > when you are > driving, you know the readout is probably OK and you should > look to see if > maybe the speedometer cable got knocked loose. > >
> > > "DATA98" wrote: > &nbsp;> > Well it was a vacuum leak that was causing the car > too idle > &nbsp;> > too high, but now I have another problem. It has > an > &nbsp;> > electronic dash, and when I was done putting > everything > &nbsp;> > together after putting the head gaskets on...I > started the car > &nbsp;> > and drove it and the speedometer was working fine > plus it was > &nbsp;> > showing me the average miles per gallon, how much > gas is in > &nbsp;> > the tank, etc... well, a little after that the > speedometer > &nbsp;> > stoped working. Any idea what would make the > speedometer and > &nbsp;> > dash not work? It's lit up and everything, just > not telling > &nbsp;> > me how fast I'm going. So, any ideas...and thanks > too > &nbsp;> > everyone for the help. I really appreciate it. > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > Thanks Alot, > &nbsp;> > James > > > > Any clue on the speedometer anyone? > > > > > > > > James
It just displays zero the entire time...it was working when we first started it back up...but Iíll check the cables and all and see if something came loose.
James
--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.