1990 Crown Vic, keys locked in trunk

Any one know how to open a locked trunk? The doors are open, but the keys are in the trunk. Car has a trunk unlock button in the glove box, which I can get to, but no key to energize the button.

Reply to
dhovland

If worse comes to worse, disconnect the electrical plug from the rear of the trunk release button. Get a long length of wire and connect it to the + side of your battery(or a live 12v in fuse box). Use the other end to touch each of the terminals in the plug one at a time. One of them should pop the trunk release.

Reply to
Jimz466

If you can get to the wires on the trunk lock button, maybe you can run a jumper from a battery terminal to energize the circuit? Or go by the dealer in the morning with the VIN number and they can make you a key.

Reply to
John Alt

================================ Why cant you just jump the two wires on the buttons plug with a paper clip or something similar?

Reply to
Scott M

The button works fine, I'd assume. It requires the key in the accessory position to have power, as in "no key to energize the button". Maybe when he gets the trunk open and gets his keys back he can jump it :)

Reply to
John Alt

oh, nm. I miss read it. I was thinking of the keylock type on the floor by the drivers seat....missed the "glove box" part of the post.

Reply to
Scott M

Yank out the back seat! Seriously. It's kind of obnoxious to do the first time, but you can remove the upper section of the back seat. Had to do this on my 87' Town Car and 1985 Grand Marquis... for the same reason as you. Makes no sense to have a trunk release in the glove box that works only when the ignition is turned ON.

You kinda gotta pull towards you and lift upwards at the same time. Once you do it a few times, it gets easier!

-Steve

are in the trunk. Car has a trunk unlock button in the glove box, which I can get to, but no key to energize the button.

Reply to
Steve Reinis

I hope we all learned a lesson from this..... Carry a spare key!

I keep a spare round key (trunk, doorlocks, and glove box) in my wallet. I don't keep a spare ignition key...because usually it's locked in the ignition, or in the trunk with the other key.

Reply to
Robotnik

that is why you use a longer wire to go straight to the battery to get power.... then the trunk will open... it will not be a dead switch with straight to the battery.....

Reply to
jim

Keep up. That was my first post :)

Reply to
John Alt

ya I was gonna post the same thing, Im not familiar with the Crown Vic but I owned a 74 Chrysler Newport, another large vehicle, I once had a trunk problem and I was able to remove the back seat and crawl into the trunk.

Reply to
Petebert

i knew someone posted it, but then someone said that the button will not work as the key cannot be put in the accessorie mode....... so i thought i put the response onto their post telling them that if he used a longer wire to the battery they dont need the key at all...... thanks for the input....

Reply to
jim

Steve Reinis wrote : Makes no sense to have a trunk release button in the glove box that only works when the ignition is turned ON.......

Makes alot of sense......it keeps thieves from pushing the button, opening your trunk and emptying it out.......of course if they want to get in the trunk they will find another way.

My car you need the ignition on to open the trunk, my Z -24 you didn't.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~273,777 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I keep an ignition key inside a magnetic Key-Safe hidden inside my trunk. The trunk key is hidden elsewhere on the vehicle. If the trunk key should be found, an intruder might guess that there is a hidden ignition key but it would not be found with any ease. This system has saved me considerable exasperation on a few occasions.

Reply to
getupand

Use a jumper wire to power the interior trunk release button, WBMA.

mike hunt

dhovland wrote:

in the trunk. Car has a trunk unlock button in the glove box, which I can get to, but no key to energize the button.

Reply to
MikeHunt2

in the trunk. Car has a trunk unlock button in the glove box, which I can get to, but no key to energize the button.

You know Every freeking Kmart in the universe would make a spare key in 2 mins. Always carried in the wallet. If your name was Racer I'd tell you to let Spritle & Chim Chim open it from the inside.........

Reply to
Tiger

Please help

Reply to
lisamthies13

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:f85a9e0a-b83c-464b-81a8-dab87eeea032 @googlegroups.com:

hit the remote button in the door, or take the rear seat out. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

You're seriously responding to a 13 year old post?

Reply to
Evan Platt

Evan Platt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

sh*t didn`t even look, and why the hell is it showing up now in my new feed? KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff