1990 F-250 Super Duty rear brake overhaul

1990 F-250 Super Duty 5.8L 5spd 2 wd this humble acolyte would humbley ask of a floating rear axle dis-assemble...

do i have to take the bolts and slide the axle out before i can remove the rear wheel hub? anything special i should know before i dis-assemble for rear brake overhaul?

thnks matt

Reply to
matt

Amaual might help but nothing will replace our God given senses... these being "sight" and "common".

IIRC, we are talking "old truck" here.... the drums are mounted "outboard". No need to remove the hub to overhaul the brakes but far from me to expect anyone to actually look at something before they ask questions.

Now... if there is a reason that you feel you need to remove the hub.... say something unmentioned like a leaking axle seal.... the axle has to come out to gain access to the hub nut... a special socket will be required......

There are a few "gotchas" to be had in this process....

If it was simple, do you think I'd have a job?

Reply to
Jim Warman

No, sometime in the 80's they upgraded the designs, you no longer have to pull the rear free floating axel to remove the drum and brake assembly.

Reply to
351CJ

Two replys, one actually helping and another being an ass.

Reply to
Dave in Columbus

Reply to
matt