1990 Ford Explorer

I am driving a 1990 Ford Explorer standard and for some reason when I shut the vehicle off after a period of driving, I hear a knocking that appears to
be coming from the transmission. It will sound like a dull thud, thud,thud.. and the sound will sound to be decreasing and will quiet down in a minute or two after turning the engine off. There have been a few times I could swear I could fell a slight thud feeling in the gear shift and that is the reason I am thinking the sound is originating from the transmission. Any ideas and suggestions what else might be causing this sound. Sometimes I can hear a thumping sound while driving at about 20-30mph. Ideas please... and no rude muns...
"Robert Bodling" wrote

With everything turned off, I'd think it was the exhaust shrinking slightly as it cooled. Maybe a metal part sliding through a rubber bushing, slo-o-o-o-o-wly. Kinda like the furnace ducts or hot water pipes at home.

Are you missing a cat? Maybe its tail is caught in the driveshaft, and the thumping is its poor little head banging against the floor. The minute of thumping after you stop is Mr. Whiskers trying to get your attention, then giving up.

What's a "mun"?
I know what a "nun" is... it means you won't get "nun of this", and you won't get "nun of that", and you certainly won't get "nun of the other".
But I've never heard of "mun".

Well, if "nun means you won't get "nun of this", etc... then "mun" is more like "you won't get much of this or that..." Or, it could be the fact that typing stuff like this late at night is where the mistakes in typing come from... otherwise, what might be the cause of the thumping sounds?
Well, I guess since there wasn't any responses, no one has any more of an idea more than I do... Thanks any way.