1990 Ford Tempo -- Engine

Okay, there are a few things I have contemplated with my engine.
First, it has 202K miles on it, has needed a valve cover gasket for at least the past 22K miles (since I purchased the car), and hasn't had
regular oil changes with the exception of the last two which were done on time.
The engine gets really bad gas mileage, and it is a 2.3L, 4 cylinder engine. Acceleration is poor at best. I highly doubt this has anything to do with the transmission, as the fluid still appears to be brand new and tranny only has 82K miles on it.
My main question is what is typically the approximate cost of having either a new or rebuilt engine installed as a general estimate?
Many people question why I would spend the money for a new engine on an older car. First, I have put this car through so much, and it has treated me right the whole time, I don't want to get rid of it because I know I can trust it. Second, if I have to spend the money on either a car I know the quirks of, or a different used car which may have its own problems that need ironing out, I would rather put the money into a car that I know.
Thanks in advance for any ideas on price range, Toby Barnett
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I had a junkyard engine for a '98 Escort (2.0L 4cyl) installed by a local mechanic for $1,500; 30 day "DOA guarantee" only.
He gave me two other options at the time: $3800 for a "new" engine from Ford, or $2500 for a rebuilt engine with a 12 month/30K mile warranty.
Those prices include parts & labor.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

At 220K, a reman engine would not be a wise financial choice. Ford made millions of these cars through 1994 and good running ones are all over the place. A sound used motor (or complete car) can be had for a few hundred dollars. A good cleaning and resealing should get you good service for the remaining life of the car. I'm guessing about $1200 to go this route.