1990 ford truch transmission

I have a 1990 ford F250 diesel truck with turbo and automatic trans. the transmission started shifting hard. within two block one hard shift and the truck went out of geart and
will not move. I was told by one transmissions shop that is a very typical of a tourqe converter to fail. Replacing the converter should fix the problem A second shop said no way and that the transmission should be replaced. Is this a typical T.C. failure or ?
If anyone has an idea.
thank you Dennis
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:26:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@frontiernet.net wrote:

Yoyu probably have the E4OD trans in that truck. It is possible the converter is the problem. That vintage, however, had numerous problems that were corrected at the time of rebuild. I would be very surprised if the converter is the only problem with your trans. A good shop can rebuild it better than it was new with much better reliability if they do the updates. Many of the updates must be done as you cannot buy the original spec parts.
IIRC, that year had a transmission control module separate from the ecm used in later models. A good shop should be able to extract any trouble codes that may give further insight into what is troubling your trans. It is possible that the problem is much simpler than it appears but, you need someone very familiar with it to make that determination.
Lugnut