1990 Taurus auto trans problems

My Dad's 90 Taurus trans was rebuilt about 30,000 miles ago. It had the fluid upgrade and he runs it over full as directed. Now it has an obvious bearing "
Whine" while idling in neutral. What else in the trans, could make a bearing noise in park besides the front pump or tork convertor? This trans has been a pain, the guy wants $1500. To repair it. It looks and runs good expect the transmission. Which still works just makes that noise. Thanks in advance
--
DirkDiggler6903

I must have missed that tip along the way. I never heard tht it was good to run a Taurus trans over full. Conventional wisdom on this says that running over filled can cause foaming and DAMAGE. I've actually had decent luck with those crumy trannys by changing the fluid very regularly using the recommended grade. Now if you have an expert that knows how to make them live longer by over filling them, please notify Ford tech service immediately with this information.
message

Did they put a new torque converter in when it was rebuilt? Was it a quality part?
Everybody here will tell you to take 5 oz of fluid out first thing. I don't think it will make a damn bit of difference but thats what you will be told.
DirkDiggler6903 wrote:

As i recall, early AXOD had a lube problem in the planetary. There was some modification of adding lube tubes, a new gasket and some other goodies to make it more durable. BUT, these mods had nothing to do with adding more fluid to the unit.
My old 90 was a dependable car. It had 160+ on it when i got rid of it and the trannie was still going strong. My 93 wagon seems to hunt shift in the 25/35 mph region under medium load. The old hydraulically shifted 90 was rock solid.
A 90 taurus is not worth a whole lot. I would change the fluid and run it until it dies and then make tin cans out of it. Why put 1500/2000 in it now when its worth less than $1000? If you like it that much, you might be better off finding another one of similar vintage with work already done to it rather than fix yours. (I have a spare trannie in my garage, but its an AXODE and wont fit yours.... ;) ).
Bob
-