1991 escort oil pressure releif valve

my son has a 1991 1.4L ford escort, it has been standing for a several weeks and now after running for a few minutes the oil pressure lamp comes on, after checking in the manual it indictes a fault pressure releif valve bu does show you where the valve is situated, can anyone out there point me in the right direction.

thanks dave

Reply to
dave harding

dave harding opined in news:gOyZa.18184$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net:

If I decipher that correctly, you read that a POSSIBLE CAUSE is faulty relief valve. But the PROBABLE cause is something else.

Low oil, oil contamination, bad bearings, faulty sensor switch.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
erhmason

If it was ok the last time you ran then it is possible thr prv is sticking open slightly and it may be worth taking it out and giving it a good clean.Sometimes its the oil pick up in the sump thats at fault and if it's really gummed/clogged up a few oil changes with a flush wont cure it.You may have to remove the sump and take the pipe off to give it clean out but if you think the oil prv is suspect then change the pump while you have the sump off.If you do go that far then clean out the breather system as well and clean out the oil trap/filter that fits into the air box.CVH's are terrible for oil emulsification if you dont change the oil regularly or leave them stood,i flush and change the oil in mine every 4-6 months wheither it needs it or not.

Reply to
Hermes Conrad