1991 Explorer Strarting Problem...

I started having problems with my 1991 Explorer starting Thursday night. It is a 5 speed maual so I presume it has a Clutch/starter interlock switch (also called a clutch pedal position switch).

What I need to figure out, I know that this switch is supposed to prevent the starter from turning over with the transmission in gear, causing the operator to have to press the clutch down to start the vehicle. If I had the vehicle in first gear and jumpered the leads on the starter relay and the vehicle jumped, would this say something about the clutch/starter interlock switch possibly being faulty? It seems that when I press the clutch pedal down and turn the key, the starter relay doesn't click or possibly it will click and the starter fails to turn over.

Help...

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Robert Bodling

thats a retarded thing to do be sure to stand in front of truck when ya do it check for power before switch ( one wire will behot" the depress switch both wires will now be hot

there ya go FUCKTARD

hurc ast

Reply to
c3p0000

Yea, I thought about slapping myself for that stupid stunt and I was standing in front of the thing... I didn't say I was the smartest guy in the world, that's why I post things like this on the internet...

Reply to
Robert Bodling

So, the what you're saying, the clutch/starter interlock switch is supposed to be normally OPEN till you press the clutch pedal down?

Reply to
Robert Bodling

yes

Reply to
c3p0000

Thank you for your comments, it might have been a retarded (stupid) idea to stand in front of the vehicle when jumpering the starter relay to test the relay or the starter, but that (not the idea of standing in front of the vehicle) was one of the trouble shooting statements "Haynes Repair Manual" mentioned, I should have used my head a bit more and not stood in front of it when I tried it.

Reply to
Robert Bodling