1991 Ford Explorer Newbie

Here's another question: The oil pressure indicator has an area marked Low - Normal - High, when the needle is sitting in the area marked as "Normal", but closer to the low side, is this still considered a "Normal" range of oil pressure? And, when I decide to change the oil ASAP, what would be the best oil to use in it, 10w30, 10w40... we live in Austin, Texas and the average temperature these days has been in the mid 70s to 80 degrees.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Robert Bodling

Check the decals under the hood, they might specify the viscosity. My guess is 5W-30 or 5W-20

Reply to
sleepdog

Normal = Normal, not high normal or low normal, just normal. Cold oil will show (on a REAL gauge) 80 psi or more at idle, while hot idle (same weight oil) can show 35~40 psi; both readings are NORMAL.

5W30 is good for just about any temperature range, synthetic oil preferred.

Robert Bodl>

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

Thanks, I hadn't thought about that one. I just looked and it said 10W30, what brand would you prefer?

Reply to
Robert Bodling

Another question: I had previously stated that I am looking for an Owner's Manual, does any one have one that they might give me some sort of an visual indication of whick fuses in the inside fuse box feed what... such as the radio and the cigarette lighter.

Also, any ideas to the simplest way to pull the radio out of the dash after I remove the dash board trim? Would there be an inline fuse between the radio and the fuse block? Or, if my radio is inoperative, it is probably DEAD?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Robert Bodling

On a V-6 engine, what would be the quality of oil needed for an oil change?

Reply to
Robert Bodling

Ford's 4.0 is a 5 quart change w/ new filter. I suggest 'prelubing' the filter since its a vertical mount (at least on my 92 model). Normally you'd suffer about a 10 second lubrication loss...

Remember, dipsticks are adjustable - oil pans aren't (assuming its original)

JS

Reply to
Jacob Suter

Reply to