1991 Ford Probe GT Cylinder Wall Rust

My roomate just recently acquired a 1991 Ford Probe GT 2.2l Turbo knowing that the cylinder head gasket was blown. The car had sat for quite a few months, my guess is at least 3+, and the cylinder walls have rust present on them. I wouldn't consider them to be permanently damaged but there is significant spotting and it seems to have decent build up in some places. I haven't noticed any pits and I believe that a good cleaning with emory cloth might be the simple solution. The pistons have been sitting with a few ounces of motor oil on top of them for about 12 hours to lubricate the rings before we even attempted turning the crank. I think my next step is to remove the oil and soak them in a couple coats of WD-40 for a few hours, then attempt the scouring to remove the majority of the rust. I was just curious if this seems to be the logical way to proceed on this job and also to check and see how much of a surface imperfection on the cylinder wall could be tolerated before machining would be necessary.

Thanks for any tips, advice or suggestions!

Reply to
austin.OTDE

Was the engine stored with the head bolted in place ?

Reply to
Shawn

The head was on the car, we just removed it last night and discovered the rust.

Reply to
austin.OTDE

Then the rust must have originated by condensation & your mentioned methods should work since the rust layer should be rather thin.

Reply to
Shawn