1991 ford ranger oil pump problem

We have 1991 Ford Ranger pick up We are having trouble with the oil pressure Replaced the oil pump and it did not help This particular model does not have a distributor but does have a drive gear and shaft For some reason the connection between the oil pump and the drive gear is not mating There is a shaft that connects the two but after you run the engine a few minutes is starts slipping and drops out of gear We get good oil pressure for about 5 minutes and then goes to zero. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem?

Reply to
jermsylu

The gear has a roll pin pressed through it to hold it onto the shaft; sounds like the roll pin has broken. You can replace the pin.

Reply to
Ted