1992 - 1991 AXOD swap?

Hi I have an opportunity to get a free or nearly free transmission from a

1992 Lincoln Continental. 3.8L V6. Yes it works. Just wondering if it will work in a 1991 Taurus. 3.8L V6. I know they all had the AXOD trans's. But I also know that somewhere in there they switched to the AXOD-E, which made something electronic that wasn't before. Thanks for any help LrT
Reply to
LrT

As far as i know, the 91 was the first years for AXODE.

91 was a bad year. I think the 91 and 92 are the same. At least for the same engine sizes. So if its 3.8 to 3.8, your probably ok. Check to make sure the electrical harness on the trannie has the same connector and number of pins on it. I believe the newer ones have more pins and a different connector (93 and up). What ever you do, it has to be a like kind of swap. AXOD to AXOD or AXODE to AXODE within the same engine family. Loren who is frequently here would probably know more about this.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

The AXOD in the 92 Continental is a one-year-only unique unit, with a 9 pin white connector. If it is indeed in good shape, you will be ahead to sell that one outright and get the specific transmission (also one-year-only... there were three different trannys for the 91 Taurus/Sable 3.8 including a police unit) for your car.

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1