1992 CROWN VIC MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR HUMMING

92' CROWN VIC MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR HAS A LOUD HUMMING NOISE. REPLACED IT WITH A SALVAGE YARD PART AND HUM HAS DIMINISHED, BUT STILL THERE. WHEN I TAKE THE
MAF OUT OF THE LOOP (DISCONNECTING TOTALLY FROM THE AIR SYSTEM) NO MORE HUM, BUT ENGINE WANTS TO STALL AFTER REVING AND RETURNING TO IDLE. CAN I RE-BUILD OR CLEAN THE ORIGINAL? IS THIS EVEN THE PROBLEM? READ ABOUT MAF'S GETTING CONTAMINATED, BUT TO HAVE 2 CONTAMINATED IN A ROW? WHEN CAR IS REVVED UP, HUM GOES AWAY, BUT EVENTUALLY RETURNS. AT LOW RPM'S, I HAVE NOTICED AN INCREASE IN PINGING. COULD THE TIMING HAVE GOTTEN OFF?
ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.
MONTANNASDAD
--
MONTANNASDAD

Are you sure it's the MAF that's humming???? Doesn't make any sense to me...
www.telstar-electronics.com

disconnect wiring harness (with car off) restart and see if it still hums.
Bet it does.
Isnt there a screen in front of it? That's more likely the problem.
clean the original and reinstall it once you find the problem, should take care of the pinging. use new med bristle paint or 'scratch' brush and rubbing alcohol on the element - brush, rinse several times
The car stalling with the MAF out of air path points to possible bad TPS
you pay..DEAL with it!

ALSO... turn off the caps -bad manners-
and I've seen this humming complaint before on European car forums, while researching other MAF problems. I cant see anything in the Ford MAF housing that should hum, though.
I HAVE had furnace air return grills do this, however. Same principle and why I suspect the airstream leveling screen... that's not there to keep big chunks out, but moderate flow.
you pay..DEAL with it!

look here.. just found a similar
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//archive/index.php/t-14308.html
scroll down
Before you ask, humming is the easiest thing for a ventriloquist, right?
you pay..DEAL with it!
MONTANNASDAD wrote: ( 1992 CROWN VIC )
MAF SENSOR HAS A LOUD HUMMING NOISE. REPLACED WITH SALVAGE YARD PART, HUM DIMINISHED, BUT STILL THERE. WHEN I DISCONNECT THE MAF NO MORE HUM, BUT ENGINE WANTS TO STALL AFTER REVVING AND RETURNING TO IDLE. CAN I RE-BUILD OR CLEAN THE ORIGINAL? IS THIS EVEN THE PROBLEM? MAF'S CAN GET CONTAMINATED, BUT 2 IN A ROW? WHEN CAR IS REVVED UP, HUM GOES AWAY, BUT EVENTUALLY RETURNS. AT LOW RPM'S, I NOTICE AN INCREASE IN PINGING. COULD THE TIMING HAVE GOTTEN OFF? _______________________________________________________________
The humming sound may be mechanical oscillation in the IAC motor. When the MAF sensor is disconnected, IAC applies default conditions. Pinging could result from lean condition caused by malfunctioning IAC.
Good luck.
Rodan.
On Wed, 24 May 2006 04:05:56 +0200, MONTANNASDAD

A SALVAGE YARD PART AND HUM HAS DIMINISHED, BUT STILL THERE. WHEN I TAKE THE MAF OUT OF THE LOOP (DISCONNECTING TOTALLY FROM THE AIR SYSTEM) NO MORE HUM, BUT ENGINE WANTS TO STALL AFTER REVING AND RETURNING TO IDLE. CAN I RE-BUILD OR CLEAN THE ORIGINAL? IS THIS EVEN THE PROBLEM? READ ABOUT MAF'S GETTING CONTAMINATED, BUT TO HAVE 2 CONTAMINATED IN A ROW? WHEN CAR IS REVVED UP, HUM GOES AWAY, BUT EVENTUALLY RETURNS. AT LOW RPM'S, I HAVE NOTICED AN INCREASE IN PINGING. COULD THE TIMING HAVE GOTTEN OFF?

I suggest you either clean or replace the IAC. That vintage had a problem with this. There is/was a TSB out on it but, I do not have a copy. The IAC can sometimes be cleaned but, usually requires replacement to correct. Sometimes, the replacement sounds just as bad. I understand Ford may have an updated IAC for this problem. The reason it stops when you change or disconnect the MAF is that the ECM is operating the engine under slightly different paramaters. If you can turn on the A/C or use the throttle to kill the sound, it is likely the IAC. While you have it off, make sure you thoroughly clean the throttle body and the EGR ports which will also help.
Lugnut
MONTANNASDAD wrote:

A SALVAGE YARD PART AND HUM HAS DIMINISHED, BUT STILL THERE. WHEN I TAKE THE MAF OUT OF THE LOOP (DISCONNECTING TOTALLY FROM THE AIR SYSTEM) NO MORE HUM, BUT ENGINE WANTS TO STALL AFTER REVING AND RETURNING TO IDLE. CAN I RE-BUILD OR CLEAN THE ORIGINAL? IS THIS EVEN THE PROBLEM? READ ABOUT MAF'S GETTING CONTAMINATED, BUT TO HAVE 2 CONTAMINATED IN A ROW? WHEN CAR IS REVVED UP, HUM GOES AWAY, BUT EVENTUALLY RETURNS. AT LOW RPM'S, I HAVE NOTICED AN INCREASE IN PINGING. COULD THE TIMING HAVE GOTTEN OFF?

intake side is tight.