1992 Ford F-150 Turns Over Won't Start

Truck spins over fine, and "almost" starts but not quite. Air cleaner(s) is fine. What's next? Should I go a buy a $50 code reader? Is that going to help? Thx.

Reply to
Alan Smithee

If there a check engine light on?

For the engine to run, there has to be spark and fuel. Probably one of these things is lacking.

So you need to find out if there is fuel or a good spark. If not, you need to find out why and fix it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Gee, I saw your last three movies... ;-)

Fuel, air, compression, spark. Any one of these aren't present, or in the wrong quantity, or at the wrong time, engine not go vroom.

If it sounds right when cranking, you probably have compression, though the cam could be a tooth off.

First trick is to get a can of Ether - Starting Fluid. Give it a LITTLE squirt (1 second or so) and see if anything happens.

(Give it a big healthy squirt, and you could be scraping the cylinder heads off the garage ceiling...)

If it's a fuel issue where the injection system isn't adding the cold enrichment, it will start. Time to check out the cold-start sensors and injector.

If it coughs a few times and quits again, it could be a fuel issue. Next thing is to check the rollover switch if equipped, and make sure the fuel pump is running. Then get/rent/borrow a fuel pressure test kit and make sure you are getting fuel to the engine.

If it tries only when the key is in START, might be the ignition cutting out. If it has a ballast resistor in the coil circuit like older cars, that's the prime suspect.

No. First, your truck is most likely OBD-1 and the "scanners" don't work. With a few exceptions, 1996 Model Year was when they changed.

If it was OBD-II: The scanner would only help if it sets a code and turns on the Check Engine light. You aren't going to get into the enhanced diagnostics (watching the sensor inputs) with the $50 cheap code reader, it takes the mechanic-grade units.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Code reader isn't required if you do it like this:

Sharon Cooke

Changed the plugs and it started. Thanks.

Reply to
Alan Smithee

The first thing I tried was starter fluid and it didn't do a thing, but I think I tipped the balance when I changed the plugs. Thanks. You've seen some of my movies?! I Always have time for a fan. Which ones have you liked the best? For me, on an artistic level "Burn Hollywood Burn" was the most rewarding....;^)

Reply to
Alan Smithee

How does it display the code? Does it just flash a number of times? Or are you reading the volts reading on the meter.

Reply to
Alan Smithee

Flashes, pauses, flashes - or bounces, rest, bounces, (depending on light or meter)

Reply to
Sharon Cooke