1992 Ford Ranger 2.3L truck no oil press.

About a month ago I noticed the oil pressure gauge sometimes would be normal, then drop real low. Eventually it would not show any oil pressure and then the lifters and top end got real loud. So, I do believe I have no oil pressure.This model is the distributorless one, so I don't think it has a geared shaft to the oil pump. At this time I suspect the pump or the oil pick-up screen. Does anyone know if the motor has to be pulled up to get the pan off ? I have a Haynes repair book, but it isn't very specific on this model. Some said the screen may be blocked and it can be fished with thru thr oil pan plug opening, but I don't know that for a fact. It starts ok, but I don't drive it or rev it, afraid to damage something more.

Reply to
William Schackart

From: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (William=A0Schackart)

About a month ago I noticed the oil pressure gauge sometimes would be normal, then drop real low. Eventually it would not show any oil pressure and then the lifters and top end got real loud. So, I do believe I have no oil pressure.This model is the distributorless one, so I don't think it has a geared shaft to the oil pump. At this time I suspect the pump or the oil pick-up screen. Does anyone know if the motor has to be pulled up to get the pan off ? I have a Haynes repair book, but it isn't very specific on this model. Some said the screen may be blocked and it can be fished with thru thr oil pan plug opening, but I don't know that for a fact. It starts ok, but I don't drive it or rev it, afraid to damage something more.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

check with ford on the recall......

daughter had the '92 4 cyl ranger and it did the same thing about 7 years ago. seems that there was a problem in production and the casting sand clogging up the pickup screen.

ford did all the work for free. we wondered about how much danaged was done by the low oil pressure, but they never address that issue. after we got the truck back, the oil stayed up where it should.

hope the info helps.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional = "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

c palmer

========

check with ford on the recall......

daughter had the '92 4 cyl ranger and it did the same thing about 7 years ago. seems that there was a problem in production and the casting sand clogging up the pickup screen.

ford did all the work for free. we wondered about how much danaged was done by the low oil pressure, but they never address that issue. after we got the truck back, the oil stayed up where it should.

hope the info helps.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

Bill S,

They didn't have a problem with sand clogging the screen, it was sealant used on the pan which caused the problems.

Reply to
Bob

I have a 1989 2.3L Ranger 5 speed with 103000 miles. From the day it was brought home it only used Mobil 1 oil which was religiously changed along with the filter every 3000 miles. One month ago I experienced the same problem and this weekend I finally got around to investigating why. What I discovered was interesting. The Ford factory manual misled me stating the engine could be jacked up, blocked, and the oil pan removed from behind. NO. I actually had to separate the engine & trans, remove the rad, and and pick the engine up about 8 inches. Then the oil pan could be removed from the front. Inside the pan was factory new clean, absolutely no build up. Thank you Mobil 1. But the oil pickup strainer was clogged with small pieces of black rubbery material. Also the oil pan gasket appeared shredded at the edges. My assumption is that the factory oil pan gasket deteriorated, the small pieces fell into the pan, were drawn into the strainer, and clogged it. It took some time to carefully scrape & dig the chunks out of the strainer then clean it in a methylene chloride based solvent (it evaporates oils). As a precaution I purchased a new oil pump too. And yes it is mechanically shaft driven. To the point the factory pan gasket was the culprit. Perhaps this will help your situation.

Reply to
dogmanblitz