1992 FORD TEMPO 5 SPEED SHIFTING PROBLEM

MY FIANCE SAYS THAT HIS FORD TEMPO HAS BECOME VERY HARD TO SHIFT INTO GEARS... HE SAID HE WAS FINALLY ABLE TO SHIFT IT INTO FIRST AND THEN SECONG BUT THAT HE
WASNT ABLE TO GO INTO ANY OTHER GEARS. HE THINKS ITS HIS TRANSMISSION... BUT I TOLD HIM I THINK IT COULD BE HIS SHIFTER IS GOING BAD. MY EX HAD A PROBLEM WITH HIS SHIFTER GOING BAD ON ONE OF HIS CARS WHERE THE SHIFTER BROKE AND IT WAS JUST LOSS AND WOULDNT POP INTO ANY GEARS. MY FIANCE SAID THAT ITS DOING ALMOST THE SAME THING...ITS LOSS AND WONT GO INTO ANY GEAR BUT FIRST AND SECOND. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY HAD A SIMULAR PROBLEM OR HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT IT MIGHT BE??? THANK YOU, CARIDIOT
--
CARIDIOT