1992 ford tempo shiftign problems

hey yall i have a automatic 2.3L transmission. it wont shift to gear it stays at first until u press teh pedal hard. also when i start the car the idle goes up to liek 3000 and i have to put in park to make it calm down.
if u haev any ideas plz let me know. i have replaced the TPS yesterday and it didnt make any difference. i have put more transmission fluid in it and doesnt seem to fix it. plz help me. T.J
When u accelerate it wont shift out of first, u can get to park,neutral,reverse when ur in drive but won't shift to 2nd or 3rd gear.
If it was an AOD trans, I'd say replace the TV grommet. Anyway, the engine revving to 3K rpm after starting doesn't have anything to do with the trans.
Lucky88 wrote:

Lucky88 wrote:

gear).. reversed worked fine... it was the VSS(vehicle Speed sensor), cost about $35 at autozone...but the part was not bad, it was the wiring going to the VSS.... the inside of the plastic coated wire stretched and the copper inside was not making contact...... eventhough the Check engine light did not come on. the vehicle had a trouble code that was checked at Auto Zone for Free... and it was the VSS was not working... give it a try for a free Check engine light.....
Lucky88 wrote:

The most likely reason your Tempo won't shift is a problem with the throttle valve or linkage. The TV is a valve in the valve body that is connected to the engine throttle linkage by a rod to a lever on the top of the transmission. Many times the valve becomes stuck in the valve body, I've replaced a lot of them. If you are lucky, the linkage may be disconnected and holding the lever down.         Tom