1992 Mercury Sable - changing wiper blades

I cant figure out the wipers on this thing. I dont have the manual. I cant even get the wipers to stand up because the base of the joint is shaped to block the wipers from being pulled back. I also cant see how to get the wiper blades off of the arm itself. Anyone know the kind of wipers im talking about?

Reply to
fredrickson

If this is the same as the 93+ models (and I'm pretty sure it is...) you need to put the key in run, turn on the wipers (slow) and turn the ignition off when the wipers are vertical. That way you will be able to pull the wipers up off the windshield.

I assume you're replacing the BLADE AND HOLDER, not just the BLADE. The BLADE by itself (rubber strip only) just slides in.

The arm has a 180 degree hook on the end of it, which mates with a springy plastic piece (looks kind of like a filled-in plastic "U") on the blade holder. Tilt the top of the wiper away from the car, squeeze the release tab on this plastic piece and pull the blade holder down to get it out of the hook. Simple once you get the hang of it :)

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards