1992 Mercury Sable radio - how to get it out?

The cassette player on my 92 sable wont play tapes. It trys to play the tape but just keeps changing directions. I tried but I couldnt get the radio out.
I remember seeing somewhere that you had to slide these four slider things in the corners but it seems impossible for a human to do. Maybe an octopus.... Anyone know? Thanks.

tape
out.
Go to an auto parts store, or Walmart and get the tools for five dollars.
You need DIN removal tools. About $5-10 at a parts store, or even Wal*Mart in the automotive stereo section.
Those four holes are access ports to the clips that hold your stereo in the dash. Sure, you can fashion something out of a wire clothes hanger and get by, but the proper tool makes removal a breeze. The DIN tools not only release the clips, they also aid by acting as handles to slide the stereo out of the dash.
Even if you will use them only once, it's worth the time and aggrevation saved to spend the $$$ on the tools.
-Steve

tape
out.
fredrickson wrote:

go to autozone and for about $3-$4 you buy two pieces of stainless steel metal shaped like a U. its by the radio cable display... you will need this to get the radio out... first you gonna have to push the radio all the way back in....then put the two U shaped metal pieces into the Four holes(2 on each side of the radio) this will release the Barbs that are holding the radio in place... you then pull the radio out..... it might take a few tries... remember if the barbs are not released by this tool the radio is not gonna come out... its similar to the bard on a fish hook...
Ah thanks guys I didnt know there was such a thing

tape
out.
things
Buy the radio removal tools for a few dollars and follow the instructions.

tape
out.
A lot of Ford stereos have two small holes on aither end. Ford has a radio removal tool which consists of two U-shaped brackets. You insert these brackets into the holes, and I forget you either squeeze them together or pull them apart -- but they'll remove the stereo in about three seconds.
-- Gary E. Tayman/Tayman Electrical Sound Solutions For Classic Cars http://www.taymanelectrical.com