1992 Taurus Antifreeze Problem

I don't know much about cars, but my 1992 Ford Taurus is leaking antifreeze all over the floor (mainly on the driver's side, but a little on the passenger's side too). Does anyone out there know what could be the problem, and what I'd have to do to fix it and the cost of fixing it? I bought some stuff that was supposed to stop the leaks for $2.99, and it looked like it worked for a few days (floor didn't get as wet and everything) but I noticed that the antifreeze is back again. I don't even know where it's coming from. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Rob

heater core no easy job for a do it your selfer and not a cheap shop job

Reply to
ALFREDCFRED

Could be the radiator. Could be hoses. You'll have to locate the source of the leak to be sure. To do that, wipe all visible antifreeze off the engine and frame and what-not. Then leave the car sitting for a little while and go check it. Follow the traces of fluid back to their source.

The Taurus radiator probably has the drain plug on the drivers side. The 91 Escort I used to have had it there. It's conceivable that the drain is not fully closed or is not sealed. (OTOH, on my BroncoII the drain is on the passenger side)

*If* it is the radiator, it's an easy fix (well, at least with a manual transmission). The radiator on my SUV (BroncoII) was leaking a couple weeks back. $160 for the new radiator, and a couple hours of labor. The procedure is basically: unscrew the fan shroud, since it is screwed to the radiator drain the radiator disconnect the hoses (3 of them) unscrew the radiator from the grille pull the radiator out

put the new one in screw it to the grille connect the hoses fill it with antifreeze screw the fan shroud back on

Some vehicles are a little more complex -- if you have an automatic transmission then the ATF cooler is sitting in the radiator tank and you'll have to remove that and put it in the new one. A friend of mine says there are about 3 things (trans. oil cooler being one of them) in the radiator on his Volvo 850 Turbo.

Of course, as the other respondant indicates, the heater core would have antifreeze flowing through it, so that could be the source of the leak. The only thing I know about that is my dad replaced the heater core in the '88 Pontiac 6000 Safari Wagon I borrowed from him last winter. Something wasn't right with the new one because even after half an hour of highway driving I still had no _warm_ air, let alone hot. (I just made sure to wear my jacket and gloves :-))

In the meantime, be sure to keep a bottle of antifreeze in the trunk so you can refill as necessary :-).

Not that I'm an expert, but there's what I know/think. :-).

HTH,

-D

Reply to
dman

leaking on floor meaning under car or inside car under dash ? inside car would point to heater core

Reply to
ALFREDCFRED

Thanks for your help! I know it's not the heater core (already been replaced... twice!) so I'm assuming it's a leak. I'll only get it fixed if the price is right. I have another question. When I had my first heater core replaced, I got a defective one and the mechanic told me that it'll run its course... but it never actually did. I waited about 5 months and got the new one put in (for free) and it worked fine. I just wanted to know how dangerous it was for me to be inhaling the antifreeze smoke coming through the heating system? It occasionally made me feel dizzy and sick, and it did to my friends too. I ended up getting "immuned" to it.. so it didn't bother me after a while. I tried doing some searching and I saw a few different things that it could've done... like severely damaged my liver or lungs. Again, any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Reply to
Rob