1992 Town Car Ignition Switch

Been having a bit of trouble removing the key from the ignition switch for a few days. Went to use the car last night and now there is no way to get
the key into the switch. Reading the shop manual tells me once I have the shrouds off I will have to be able to rotate the cylinder into the "run" position in order to un-link it from the rest of the mechanism. Is there another way to get the switch out? This is not the original switch.
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:48:45 -0500, Peter W Crisler

Spray a bunch of WD-40 or silicone or some other light lube in there and then try the key again. Normally you would not use that kind of stuff in a key cylinder because it will attract dirt but in this case you only need to get it working one or two more times so you can replace it.

I'll give it a try. This second switch was put in about 4 years ago by a Lincoln Mercury dealer, that is no longer in business and the dealer that took over is on top the BBB's list of places to stay clear of.
Peter W Crisler wrote:

sometimes ... all one has to do is go in there and tighten everything up and the ignition steering lock mechanism fits better and of course works better if it is OEM

Thanks, when I get it opened up, I'll see what is loose and see what shape everythins is in. After 18 years, I have come to expect everything and anything.