1993 4.9 thermostat which way ?

I just removed the thermostat for replacement but darn it , I forgot which way round to install it. It fits both ways.

the side wiith the wax element and valve faces towards the engine, the smaller side facing outwards.

The sensor side always goes toward the engine. When the temperature setting is satisfied the stat opens, allowing coolant to flow toward the radiator to be cooled.
mike hunt
gil wrote:

Been a while since I did my van but IIRC, the "flat" end with the button thingy faces the block and the pointy end faces the upper hose. Confirm this before you install. HTH